Friday, September 10, 2010

Dreams

In my last semester of college I took the capstone class for my Russian major and the professor that was leading the class decided that since it was the culmination of our undergraduate careers we should take on a meaningful project instead of just regurgitating research onto a paper that we will forget later (although looking back at college, I think that type of research is a pretty good sum-up of my experience). He wanted us to learn something about ourselves. In this class we discussed dreams a lot, particularly about how through dreams you can learn more about yourself. Although I was skeptical, I took his advice and started to record my dreams. The outcome was humorous as well as intriguing. I believe I can now say that I think dreams can tell a person a lot about himself/herself.

Also, lately I have been reading a book called The Mind At Night: The New Science of How and Why We Dream. I really enjoy it because it doesn't try to tell the reader how to interpret his/her dreams. Instead it shows research that has been done in neuroscience and how the brain works when we are asleep. It has rekindled my interest in dreams, especially my own. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who was even slightly interested in dreams and how they work.

All in all, I am starting this blog because my wife, Abby, wanted me to have a blog. She gave me the idea that I could blog about dreams that I have had and it would be interesting and fun. So, in order to appease my wife and satisfy my own curiosity I am starting a blog.

A quick disclaimer: I'm not looking for anyone's advice as to the interpretation of my dreams. I believe that the interpretation of dreams is something very personal and is something each person should do for himself/herself. You have to be able to look at what's happening in your daily life to understand much of what is happening in your dream, and unlike Freud I don't believe that all of your dreams represent your deep unfulfilled desires.

So my following posts will contain content of my dreams, the ones I can remember. Although, I have noticed that the more conscious I am about recording dreams the more dreams I tend to remember. I won't post all of them here because I think that some are too personal for everyone to read. I hope that the readers of my blog will find it interesting in some way.

1 comment: