Wednesday, December 8, 2010

You are what you... watch

So I decided to buy The Mind at Night because I enjoyed reading it so much and my sisters got me Amazon gift cards for Christmas (thanks Amy and Erika). I started browsing this morning and read that sometimes our brain shows us plot-less imagery as a way of storing information in long term memory. I remembered reading that dreams are one way our brain stores such memory. Then I remembered the dreams I've been having lately. I had one dream where I was Harry Potter, one where it seemed I was watching an episode of Law and Order and one where I was making baseball jerseys.

All of these dreams relate back to something I have watched lately, including a 2.5 hour documentary on baseball. In the past 8 months I have been underemployed as I like to put it. I can't remember the last time I worked 40 hours in a week. With this time off I've watched a lot of TV and movies. Not the most productive use of my time. If my dreams are an indication of what is being stored in my long term memory I think that's kind of sad. I don't need stored memory of Olivia Benson interrogating a suspect or Harry Potter destroying horcruxes. Time to be more productive.
And now he's stuck in my brain

No comments:

Post a Comment